Columbus, OH (August 2012) - TrueVision® 3D Surgical announced that D. James Schumer, M.D., of ReVision Advanced LASIK and Cataract Centers, Columbus, OH, became the first surgeon in Ohio to adopt and perform 3D LASIK eye surgery, and image-guided cataract surgery for astigmatism correction. The ground-breaking surgery took place at ReVision on July 14, 2012 and utilized advanced TrueVision® 3D Visualization and Guidance platform for high-definition, real-time, stereoscopic microsurgery.
"We are the first practice in the state to incorporate 3D heads-up surgery," said Dr. Schumer, who is founder and medical director of ReVision LASIK and Cataract Centers in Columbus and Mansfield.
"Not only are we using the technology for advanced LASIK surgery, we encourage the patient's family to experience 3D while they are having the surgery. Being able to view the surgery reduces anxiety about the procedure their loved one is going through."
The success of 3D LASIK surgery at ReVsion is enabled by the integration of cutting edge technology via the TrueVision 3D system, advanced surgical techniques on the part of the surgeon and a great patient support team. The new technology enables a wide variety of surgeon-specific advantages, with a focus on image guidance to optimize patient outcomes and advance modern ophthalmic surgery, advantages include:
- Heads-up surgery with retention of microscope oculars
- Unmatched surgeon ergonomics
- The "TrueVision 3D Surgical Cockpit"
- Computer-aided 3D surgical guidance for toric IOL, LRI, capsulorhexis
- Rapidly growing exposure of advanced technology premium LASIK and cataract surgery
- 3D image-guided surgery, increased conversion to premium LASIK and cataract surgery
- Seamless integration with traditional phaco and femtosecond phaco cataract surgery
- OR staff communication via "shared view experience"
- 3D patient education - make informed decision
- Continued interest in 3D imaging and new surgical technology for Baby Boomer generation
- Collaboration with other advanced technologies - crossover from neurosurgery, ENT, spin, plastics etc
About TrueVision® 3D Surgical
TrueVision® 3D Surgical is the world leader in 3D visualization and guidance for microsurgery. Santa Barbara, California-based TrueVision® combines 3D visualization and guidance software focused on improving accuracy, efficiency, and outcomes for both surgeons and patients. The Refractive Cataract Toolset® is the first guidance application released by the company. Visit www.truevisionsys.com for more information.